Lisa Piper, a certified raw foods chef, shows food radio talk show host, Cleverley Stone, how to make delicious, refreshing juices for 4th of July: Watermelon Zinger; Red White and Berry Smoothie and Zesty Honey Lemonade Slushie. The Chlorella and Maqui berry ingredients are superfoods and add super nutrients to the drinks. The Asian 5 spice powder is a yin and yang balance of very healing spices for the body. it can be purchased ready-made or you can make your own, see recipe below.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley’s radio show, Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (PS: She gives out prizes on every radio show!)
Healthy 4th of July Drinks
Submitted by Lisa Piper
½ mini or “personal” watermelon
juice of 1 lime
1/2 inch fresh ginger root, grated
½ tsp chlorella
frozen watermelon star for garnish
1. Cut watermelon in half. Put red meat of watermelon in blender with lime juice, ginger and chlorella.
2. Pour blended drink back into watermelon shell. Add star garnish and serve.
Red White and Berry Smoothie
1 1/2 tsp unsweetened coconut milk
4 large strawberries
2 leaves red Swiss chard with stalk
½ tsp maqui berry powder
1/3 cup blueberries
blueberry swizzle stick for garnish
1. Put banana and coconut milk in blender then pour into bottom of glass.
2. Juice Swiss chard and put the juice in the blender with the strawberries and maqui berry powder and blend.
3. Pour on top of banana layer.
4. Carefully layer fresh blueberries on top of drink and add blueberry swizzle stick for garnish.
Zesty Honey Lemonade Slushie
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cups ice
3 tbls honey
1 tsp Asian 5 spice powder
Frozen raspberry ice cubes for garnish
1. Put all ingredients in blender until slushed. Add garnish.
Asian 5 spice powder can be purchased or homemade.
Recipe for homemade Asian 5 Spice Powder
2 tsp blk peppercorn
8 star anise
½ tsp ground clove
1 tbl cinnamon
1 tbl ground fennel seed
Grind all items finely in a clean coffee grinder