Tantalize your Valentine with easy dishes that are sure to please on a cold winter’s day. Chef Soren Pedersen from Ray’s Gourmet Country shows the diva of dish, Cleverley Stone, how to make a fresh shiitake mushroom cake and risotto with caramelized onions, Maytag blue cheese and grilled pears.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley’s radio show, Saturdays at Noon on KIKK-CNN 650 AM. (PS: She gives out free restaurant gift certificates on every radio show!)
Fresh Shiitake Mushroom Cake (Serves 6)
½ lb shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and diced
2 ea shallot
4 tbl mayo
1 tbl grain mustard
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbl marjoram , cleaned and chopped
½ cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
salt & pepper
1. Sauté shallots and mushrooms in medium heat skillet with olive oil, set aside.
2. Combine with all other ingredients. Shape into cakes.
3. Heat a nonstick pan at medium heat, add oil and place the mushroom cake in pan and cook until golden.
Risotto with Caramelized Onion, Maytag Blue Cheese & Grilled Pear, served on Red Wine Reduction
1 cup Arborio rice
2 ea shallots, peeled and diced
2 ½ cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 oz butter
2 ea pear, washed and sliced
1 cup fresh assorted herbs
2 tbl olive oil
sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
2 oz Maytag blue cheese
1 ea onion, caramelized
1. Caramelize onions.
(heat 3 tbl spoons butter in skillet until light brown; add sliced onion and simmer until onions are soft.)
2. Place herbs, oil, salt, pepper in blender & puree until smooth.
3. Pour the herb oil over the pear. Heat a skillet to high heat and sear pear on both sides.
4. Risotto: Sauté shallots and rice in skillet with olive oil, add stock a little at the time, stirring constantly.
When rice is tender (this will take a while), add cheese, onion and butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
Red Wine Reduction
½ bottle red wine
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbls brown sugar
4 oz butter
1. In sauce pan reduce wine to 1 quarter with cinnamon and sugar.
2. Stir in butter and simmer until clear and saucy in consistency.