Cove Cold Bar is a new raw seafood bar inside the popular Haven Restaurant in Houston. Chef Jean-Philippe Gaston demonstrates how to prepare ceviche and talks with food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone.
Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show on Saturdays from 9 a.m. until Noon on CBS Sports Radio 650. (By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Chef Jean-Philippe Gaston, Cove Cold Bar
Makes 2 servings
- 2.5 oz raw scallops (approx 1 1/2 scallops)
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1.5 oz cucumber, diced
- 1 oz tomatoes, sliced thinly, then diced
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 1.5 oz mango diced
- 2 oz cilantro, chopped
- 1 oz lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 oz olive oil
- 1/4 oz white wine vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper
1. Slice raw scallops against the grain (in the opposite way the lines run) very thinly or as thick as you would like. Set aside.
2. Place all vegetables and fruit into a bowl. Pour in liquids and let sit at room temperature for a couple hours. This will allow the fruit and vegetables to release their juices and get a true flavor.
3. Once flavors are settled (we are looking for a sweet, little briny, highly acidic taste), pour over the scallops and serve with tortilla chips.