January 13, 2012
The Houston Texans Grille is the second restaurant in the US licensed by the NFL. The first one was in Indianapolis for the Colts. Executive chef Robert Martinez showed food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos and a chicken dish made with fennel and ouzo. Chef Martinez shares some great tips in each segment!
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show
Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Source: Chef Robert Martinez, Houston Texans Grille
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz small shrimp (can use the small frozen shrimp)
- ½ Tbsp salt
- ½ Tbsp ground black pepper
- ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- 8 Bacon strips
- 8 Fresh jalapenos, washed
1. Mix cream cheese, cooked shrimp, spices in a mixing bowl.
2. Cut tops off jalapenos and slit down one side.
3. Scrap all the seeds and vines out using a spoon.
4. To cut the heat of the pepper even more you may want to blanch the peppers for about 2 mins.
5. Fill the peppers with cream cheese stuffing and wrap the jalapeno with bacon. Use a toothpick to hold bacon around pepper.
6. To: fry peppers in deep fryer. Or sauté them in a frying pan. Or bake them until bacon is cooked.
- 8 oz chicken breast
- 1 ea. seasoned flour
- 2 oz oil
- 8 oz potatoes, mashed
- 4 oz poached fennel, julienned
- 4 oz grape tomatoes
- 1 oz feta cheese
- 1 tbsp ouzo
- 2 oz butter blend
- 6 oz anise broth
- 1 ea. fennel frond
1. Heat up sauté pan and add oil.
2. Dredge chicken breast in flour and sear in pan.
3. Add all other ingredients except for feta, Ouzo and anise broth, sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add Ouzo, allow to flame and deglaze with anise broth, cook and reduce until chicken is done and broth has thickened.
5. On a dinner plate place the mashed potatoes in the center, then place the chicken on top.
6. Top chicken breast with sauce and veggies.
7. Garnish with feta cheese and fennel frond.
- 1 qt Water
- 2 tbs chicken base
- 12 ea. anise, whole star
- 4 ea. bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp pepper, black whole
1. Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring it to a simmer and let simmer for 5 minutes on low heat, do not boil.
2. Take off heat and let sit another 5 minutes.
3. Strain off all the whole pieces, and discard.
4. Put into a container, cover, refrigerate until use.
- 5 ea. heads fennel bulb
- ½ cup chicken base
- 2 qt water, hot
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 ea. fresh basil
1. Remove hearts and tops of fennel and julienne.
2. In hotel pan add hot water, chicken base and lemon juice, fennel and basil; cover with foil.
3. Allow to poach until fennel is tender.
4. Strain fennel, lay on sheet pan to cool.
5. Reserve broth for anise broth.