Houston chef Ja’Nel Witt is a contestant on celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay’s top-rated reality cooking show, “Hell’s Kitchen.” Chef Witt shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make her signature dish, Thai Grilled Prawns with Asian Pesto. The eleventh season of “Hell’s Kitchen” Season 11 debuts on Tuesday, March 12 at 7 p.m. on FOX 26 television.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show, Saturdays from 9 a.m. until Noon on CBS Sports Radio 650. (By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Thai Grilled Prawns with Asian Pesto
Chef Ja’Nel A. Witt
“Hell’s Kitchen” season 11 contestant
Cook Time: 30 mins
- Blender or food processor
- Large pot
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting board
- 1 lb jumbo shell-on shrimp (10-15)
- ½ cup fresh mint-chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro-chopped
- ½ cup fresh Thai basil-chopped
- 2 serrano chilies or jalapenos
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs fresh ginger-minced
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 10 oz angel hair pasta
1. Preheat grill to medium hot, and bring large pot of salted water to boil.
2. Using a sharp knife, butterfly the shrimp. Rinse and drain the shrimp in a large bowl.
3. Add herbs and other aromatics, tossing to coat well.
4. Cook the angel hair pasta until al dente (approx. 4-5 mins). Drain and rinse with cool water.
5. Toss the pasta with the Asian Pesto, and set aside. (Pasta best served at room temperature)
6. Grill the shrimp over medium-hot heat until cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side.
7. Serve shrimp on a nest of the noodles and garnish with mint and cilantro.
- ½ cup peanut or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh ginger- rough chop
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 3-4 jalapenos-rough chop
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup (1/2 bunch) cilantro- stems included
- ½ cup fresh mint
- ½ cup fresh Thai basil
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
1. In blender, combine oils, vinegar, and lime juice
2. Add ginger, garlic and jalapenos and blend.
3. Add remaining ingredients, and ¼ cup of the roasted peanuts. Blend mixture until quite smooth.
4. Adjust seasoning with salt if necessary.
5. Add remaining peanuts, and pulse to give sauce slightly crunchy texture.
Houston chef Ja’Nel Witt will appear on celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay’s top-rated reality cooking show, “Hell’s Kitchen.” Season 11 of “Hell’s Kitchen” debuts on Tuesday, March 12 at 7 p.m. on FOX 26. Chef Witt shares how she became a contestant on “Hell’s Kitchen” with food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show on Saturdays from 9 a.m. until Noon on CBS Sports Radio 650. (By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Leave it to a girl from Fort Worth to win it all on the eighth season of the FOX television show “Hell’s Kitchen” with Chef Gordon Ramsay.
After a grueling competition, Chef Nona Sivley won the job as head chef at the JW Marriott Hotel’s LA Market restaurant in downtown Los Angeles and a cool $250,000 annual salary, plus an endorsement deal from Rosemount Estate Wines.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (By the way, she gives out prizes on every radio show!)
New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp and Grits
Source: Chef Nona Sivley
Winner, Hell’s Kitchen, Season 8/Dec. 2010
12 ea large gulf shrimp
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1 oz chopped garlic
½ oz chopped rosemary
¼ bottle Abita amber beer
2 oz Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1 oz hot sauce (Crystal)
1/2 oz Steen’s cane syrup
1 tsp Creole seasoning
½ oz lemon juice
4 Tbsp whole butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Season the shrimp with Creole seasoning.
2. In a large sauté pan over high heat, sauté shrimp in cooking oil.
Flip shrimp after 1 minute then add garlic and rosemary.
3. De-glaze pan with the beer and then add worcestershire, Steen’s and hot sauce.
4. Cook shrimp for another 2 minutes then remove from heat and add lemon juice, and whole butter.
Serve shrimp over grits
1 cup yellow stone-ground grits
3 cup milk
½ cup cream
4 oz butter
Salt and white pepper to taste
1. In a sauce pot, bring milk to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and add grits.
2. Continue cooking for about 25 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add cream and butter and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
The producers of the FOX television show “Hell’s Kitchen” is searching for the best, most talented chefs ages 21 and older who are passionate about cooking and skilled on the line. Chef Gordon Ramsay wants another protege to join his team!
“Hell’s Kitchen” will follow the chefs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through the perils of working in Chef Ramsay’s pressure-filled restaurant, capturing the wrath, emotion and adrenaline rush that comes with cooking in a top-notch restaurant. Contestants will have to prove they have the endurance and skills to work with Chef Ramsay as they are pushed to their limits.
Chefs who attend the casting call should be outspoken, competitive and able to stand the heat in one of the most exclusive and toughest kitchens in the world. Applicants must be passionate, skilled at their craft and aim to become the next winner of “Hell’s Kitchen.”
Anyone who thinks he or she has what it takes to smoke the competition should visit http://www.fox.com/hellskitchen/ or http://www.theconlincompany.com/ for open call locations and general casting information or contact 310.482.0502, by e-mail at HKCasting2010@yahoo.com or HellsKitchen@TheConlinCompany.com.
Houston casting call locations include:
Thursday, Nov. 18 between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Junction Bar and Grill
160 West Gray, Houston, TX 77019
Friday, Nov. 19 between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Culinary Institute LeNôtre
7070 Allensby, Houston, TX 77022
Saturday, Nov. 20 between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Culinary Institute LeNôtre
7070 Allensby, Houston, TX 77022
Chef Rahman “Rock” Harper, winner of FOX show “Hell’s Kitchen” Season Three, and James Cole, famed chef of Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar in Houston, will take part in the Tuscany in Texas event which benefits the March of Dimes.
The Tuscany in Texas event takes place Thursday, Oct. 9 at the Intercontinental Hotel from 6:30 p.m. until 10:00 p. m.