- crispy beef empanadas with black beans, avocado and charred tomato salsa
- grilled bone-in pork chop with sweet potato mashers,braised mustard greens and golden raisin-whiskey jus
- chocolate pecan brownie served with blue bell vanilla ice cream and praline caramel sauce
Chef Lewis shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make the beef empanadas from his menu.
Houston Restaurant Weeks takes place from Aug. 1 through Aug. 31, 2012.
Diners can make a $10 donation to the food bank by texting HRW to 20222. (Message & data rates may apply and all purchases must be authorized by the account holder. See details at: www.HoustonRestaurantWeeks.com.)
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston,
listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Beef & Guajillo Chili Empanadas (makes 32 Empanadas)
Chef Paul Lewis, Cullen’s Upscale American Grille
- 1 pound Ground Chuck (beef)
- 6 oz Yellow Onion, peeled & small dice
- 4 oz Poblano Pepper, ribs & seeds removed, small dice
- 6 oz Queso Quesadilla Cheese, grated
- 1 Can Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes (14.5 oz size)
- 2 T Guajillo Chili Paste
- 4 pk Goya brand Turnover Wrappers – (available from Fiesta & Mi Tienda)
1. Sear Ground Beef, allow to drain off rendered fat.
2. Sauté onions till brown in same pot.
3. Add corn & poblano, cook till tender.
4. Return meat to pan along with the vegetables.
5. Add guajillo chili paste & fire roasted tomatoes (including liquid).
6. Bring to a boil & then reduce heat to a simmer, allow to cook for about 15 mins.
7. Add Cheese, mix thoroughly.
8. Season with Salt & Pepper & Chill.
9. Take a 1 oz scoop & place the mix into the center of a wrapper.
10. Fold over upon itself to create a semi circle.
11. Press to remove any air pockets.
12. Crimp the edges using the tines of a fork.
14. Fry in desired choice of oil at 350 degrees F until golden.
15. Allow to set for a second prior to serving to allow heat to evenly distribute & any excess oil to drain off.
16. Serve with your favorite salsa!!