Chef Ellen Schwartz demonstrates how to make kugel, a popular dish served on Rosh Hashanah, which marks the beginning of the Jewish New Year. The main ingredients of kugel are noodles and sugar. It can be served hot, cold or at room temperature and it freezes well. Chef Ellen Schwartz is a cooking teacher for Leisure Learning and has also taught Jewish cooking at Central Market.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley‘s radio show on Saturdays at Noon on Talk KIKK-650 AM. (By the way, she gives out free restaurant gift certificates on every radio show!)
Apple Noodle Kugel
Source: Chef Ellen Schwartz
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 lb of extra wide egg noodles
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 bar of cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 5 large eggs, whisked until frothy
- 2 cups of chopped Granny Smith apples, peeled
- 1 cup of golden raisins
- 1 cup of corn flake cereal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp sugar
1. Cook noodles to tender but still a little firm.
2. Drain noodles. Add the stick of butter, which will melt as you stir it into the hot noodles.
3. Whisk in the sour cream and eggs until well blended. Then whisk in softened cream cheese with ¾ cup of sugar.
4. Mix in the cooked noodles.
5. Stir in the raisins and raw peeled apples.
6. Grease 9 x 13 baking pan with 1 tablespoon softened butter.
7. Pour mixture into the buttered pan.
8. Prepare the cornflake topping.
9. Sprinkle topping on top of the noodle mixture in the pan.
10. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until mixture has set.
11. Kugel can be served hot, at room temperature or cold.
It is usually a side dish with a brisket. It freezes well.
Topping Alternative or Side Dish: Apples with Sugar & Cinnamon
1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter into a skillet.
2. Peel 4 large Golden Delicious apples. Cut into wedges.
3. Put apples into a large bowl with 1/8 cup of sugar and 1/8 tsp cinnamon.
4. Add mixture to a skillet and sauté on medium so that apples turn slightly brown.
5. In another skillet put ½ cup of apple cider and reduce it by half as you cook it on medium heat.
6. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a dash of almond extract to the cider mixture.
7. After apples are softened pour the cider mixture over the apples. Cook for 1 minute more on top of the stove.
8. Add apple mixture on top of each slice of kugel before serving.