Kefir tastes like yogurt, but contains approximately twice as many probiotics, which are helpful for digestion and great to build the immune system. A boosted immune system is especially helpful as the peak of cold, flu and allergy season arrives.
People sensitive to dairy products usually have no trouble with kefir. Dr. Oz recommends kefir as well as other health enthusiasts. It has also been listed as one of Dr. Perricone’s super foods.
Domenica Catelli presents three quick and easy recipes on FOX 26 Morning News Extra using kefir as a main ingredient. All the recipes can be found in Catelli’s book “Mom-a-licious” or http://www.bemomalicious.com/.
Marinated Chicken with Kefir-Cilantro Topping (Serves 4-6)
- 3 cups plain kefir
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- *1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
* Can use up to 2 pounds of chicken to feed more.
1. Mix kefir, cumin, and salt in a large bowl or ziplock bag.
2. Take out one cup of marinate mix (BEFORE placing chicken in) put aside for topping later.
3. Add chicken to marinate mix and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour to overnight.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat then add the chicken.
5. Turn chicken after about 4-5 minutes.
6. Place a lid over the chicken. Cook for 5-10 more minutes.
7. Take marinade that has been set aside and stir in cilantro, lime juice, a pinch more salt, and chopped jalapeno. Test for salt. Serve with chicken on the side or drizzled over the top.
Quick Cherry Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh or organic frozen cherries
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 cups pomegranate or other unsweetened fruit juice
- ½ cup kefir
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
*optional: If you prefer it sweeter, add honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
Put everything in the blender…
Protein-Packed ‘Ranch’ Dip with Veggies
- 1/3 cup plain kefir
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dill (dried) or 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cups of red bell pepper, celery, carrots or broccoli, cut for dipping
Place sour cream and kefir in a medium size bowl and whisk in remaining ingredients.
Stir until well blended.
Serve with cut up veggies and enjoy!
Keeps in refrigerator for up to a week.