Sept. 28, 2011
Cyclone Anaya’s Mexican Kitchen is a popular Tex-Mex restaurant in Houston. They prepare an upscale variety of hand-made gourmet
menu items, prepared from scratch, using fresh ingredients. They call their cuisine “Fine Mex,” a blend of traditional and modern Mexican-inspired dishes. They are also very well-known for their margaritas and they make our own Agave Tequila. Chef Jason Gould shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make Fried Crab Stuffed Avocado, one of their most popular dishes. Chef Gould also shares his recipe for their tomato salsa.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Crab Stuffed Avocado (Makes one serving)
Chef Jason Gould, Cyclone Anaya
- ½ of a ripe avocado
- 3 ounces of crab cake (use your favorite crab cakes)
- 8 ounces of Negra Modelo Beer Batter (see recipe below)
1. Cut whole avocado in half lengthwise.
2. Remove the seed and the skin.
3. Place golf ball size lump of crab cake mix in the center of the avocado.
4. Press the crab mix in tight being careful not to break the avocado.
5. Dip the stuffed avocado into the beer batter and coat evenly.
6. Carefully place the battered avocado into the fryer at 350 degrees F.
7. Fry until golden brown.
8. To serve: Place a puddle of tomato salsa (see recipe below) in the center of a dinner plate.
Place the fried avocado on top of that.
Drizzle with lime cilantro sour cream sauce. Serve with a small salad.
Negra Modelo Beer Batter
- 16 oz Negra Modelo Beer
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Soda Water
1. Place flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix together.
2. Add beer and soda water and mix until just combined.
You don’t want to mix the bubbles out and you do not need to get all the lumps out.
As you use the batter the lumps will work out.
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chipotle puree
1. Combine ingredients together and mix well.
Store in refrigerator.