Chef Robert Del Grande from RDG + Bar Annie, shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make the dish that he will prepare at the annual Chefs’ Dinner benefiting the Houston Food Bank on April 20, 2011 at the Houstonian Hotel. His Chilled Spring Asparagus Soup with Crab Meat is a light and healthy dish with lots of vegetables.
The annual Chefs’ Dinner benefiting the Houston Food Bank will feature a multi-course meal prepared by several of Houston’s finest chefs. For 137,000 Houstonians each week, however, fine dining is something much simpler, though no less appreciated – a meal made from food provided by Houston Food Bank partner agencies. While their meals may not be fancy, they are wholesome and provide essential nutrients to the families and individuals who receive them.
For ticket information about the Chefs’ Dinner and the Houston Food Bank visit http://www.houstonfoodbank.org/events.aspx?id=2978
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (By the way, she gives out prizes on every radio show!)
Chilled Spring Asparagus Soup with Crab Meat (Serves 4)
Source: Chef Robert Del Grande, Restaurant RDG + Bar Annie
- 1 lb Asparagus
- 8 each spring onions or green onions
- 1 tbl Butter
- ½ each White Onion: minced
- 2 each Garlic: minced
- ½ each Fennel: minced
- 2 each Leek: white part only: minced
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- 1 tbl Fresh Tarragon leaves: loosely packed
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- 8 oz Fresh jumbo lump crab meat: cleaned
- 1 each Serrano chile: finely sliced (optional: depending on amount of spice desired)
- 1 tbl Extra virgin olive oil
1. With a potato peeler, peel the asparagus.
2. Bring a pot of light salted water to a boil. Blanch the asparagus under tender. Remove from the water and chill.
3. In the same boiling water, blanch the green onions until tender. Chill. Roughly chop and reserve.
4. Cut the asparagus in half. Roughly chop the lower stems and reserve. Thinly slice the upper green ends and reserve.
5. In a saucepot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the minced onion, garlic, fennel and leek. Lightly cook the
ingredients until translucent. Do not brown.
6. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
7. Transfer the cooled liquid and the vegetables to a blender. Add the chopped lower ends of the asparagus. Add the tarragon leaves.
Puree until smooth. Add the salt and pepper.
8. Stir in the cream. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Chill.
9. To serve, combine the sliced upper ends of the asparagus with the crab meat, the chopped blanched green onions and the
thinly sliced Serrano chiles. Toss with the extra virgin olive oil. Light salt & pepper. Divide the crab mixture between for soup bowls.
Gently pour in the chilled soup and serve.