The Cafe at the Brookwood Community in Brookshire, Texas, is known for providing delicious country-gourmet cuisine in a lovely garden setting.
Chef Laura McGuire shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make Chicken Crepes Contessa, a popular entree at the Cafe. The food is enhanced by the smiles of the special citizens and Cafe teachers who serve the guests. The Cafe teachers provide the citizen servers and hosts with special training daily to prepare them to serve you. Open Monday through Sunday from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., the Cafe’s food, service, and ambiance rivals any fine restaurant in the area. Reservations are recommended. For information, contact 281-375-2400.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (By the way, she gives out prizes on every radio show!)
Chicken Crepes Contessa
Chicken and mushroom crepes topped with mornay sauce,
served with fresh asparagus, broccoli florets, red peppers & roasted almonds
Source: Chef Laura McGuire, Brookwood Community
Chicken & Mushroom Crepes:
1. Spray sheet pan with a non stick spray.
2. Place 2 crepes on platter and cook in convection oven for 8 minutes @ 350 degrees.
Using Mornay Sauce:
1. Cooked and plated crepes are topped with 2 oz. mornay sauce in the center of the crepes so that crispy edges are still in view.
1. Place 3 each jumbo asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes.
2. Sauté with red pepper slices, 1 tea. Olive oil, salt & pepper and broccoli.
1. Place 3 oz. broccoli florets in boiling water for 2 minutes.
2. In a hot sauté pan with red pepper slices,1 tsp. olive oil and ½ salt and pepper sauté as
soon as possible to remove water.
1. Wash and remove core and seeds. Slice julienne or a little thicker.
1. Toast almonds in convection oven @ 350 degrees.
2. In a single layer on a large sheet tray toast for 10-12 minutes or until brown.
Garnish: Carrot, Red Cabbage & Parsley
Crepe Recipe (Makes 12-14 crepes )
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
1. Measure all ingredients in to blender jar; blend for 30 seconds.
2. Scrape down sides. Blend for 15 seconds more. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
(This helps the flour absorb more of the liquids.)
3. Heat crepe pan. (I use a 7” omelet pan.)
Lightly grease. Measure about 1/4 cup batter into pan. Tilt pan to spread batter.
Once crepe has lots of little bubbles, loosen any edges with spatula. Flip crepe over.
This side cooks quickly. Slide crepe from pan to plate.
Chicken & Mushroom Crepes Filling (Makes filling for 16 crepes)
- 2 pounds Chicken Breast
- 8 ounces Fresh Button Mushrooms
- 4 ounces Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 quart Mornay Sauce (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 16 Crepes (see recipe above)
1. Prepare crepes cool and layer with parchment paper.
2. Poach chicken (see Poaching Liquid – Chicken recipe).
3. Cool chicken and pull meat apart. Put in a separate bowl and set aside.
4. Sauté sliced mushrooms in olive oil. Do not stir and do not overcrowd the pan.
Brown edges and turn over.
5. Make Mornay Sauce (see mornay sauce recipe) and keep warm for service.
6. Add shredded mozzarella cheese to pulled chicken.
7. Pour warm mushroom and warm Alfredo sauce over chicken.
8. While mixture is warm, place 3 oz. in middle of crepe and roll as tightly as possible.
Line a hotel pan with stuffed crepes.
- 1 quart Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons Flour, all purpose
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt & White Pepper
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in 1 qt. pot.
2. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
3. Add flour to mixture and blend until all butter is absorbed – should be dry and crumbly.
4. Slowly pour in milk and stir. Turn up heat and stir constantly until it thickens.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add cheese to melt