Good knife skills in the kitchen will improve the quality of the food you cook, whether you are a professional or home cook.
Basic Knife Tips from Certified Master Chef Ken Arnone
1. Use the proper knife for the job. It should feel comfortable in your hand.
2. Use proper hand position to hold the knife securely.
3. Use sharp knives. Dull knives are dangerous.
4. Secure your cutting board so it doesn’t slip around. Use a rubber mat or damp towel underneath it.
5. Stand with your shoulders square with the table. Your angle will be straight and cuts will be more accurate.
6. DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF YOUR HANDS!
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on
Talk 650 AM. (By the way, she gives out prizes on every radio show!)