The Houston Food Bank, founded in 1982, is a certified member of Feeding America, the nation’s food bank network.
The organization plans to grow to an annual distribution of 100 million nutritious meals by 2018.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(By the way, she gives out restaurant gift certificates on every radio show in August!)
1. Using a very sharp knife, trim the extra fat and the tough silverskin from the beef cheeks.
(You should have approximately 3 pounds of cleaned meat remaining.)
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In a large, oven proof (deep) pan, heat 1/4 cup oil over high heat until almost smoking.
4. Pat dry and season on both sides of beef cheeks with some of the salt and pepper.
5. Sear the meat in the oil, in batches if necessary, until well browned on all sides.
6. Remove from pan and set aside.
7. Add remaining 1/4 cup oil and add onion, celery, carrots and rosemary.
8. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft and beginning to caramelize.
9. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes.
10. Add the tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
11. Add red wine, bring to a boil and reduce by about 1/2.
12. Add the beef broth, red pepper flakes, paprika and the herbs. Stir well.
13. Cover tightly and place in the oven. Cook for 3 hours or until the cheeks are very tender.
14. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.