Starting on Aug. 10, your dining dollars will make a difference to someone in need. During Houston Restaurant Week, over 80 of Houston’s favorite restaurants are creating special 3 course dinners and will donate $5 from every special dinner sold to the Houston Food Bank. The event hopes to raise $100,000 to help fight hunger in Houston.
Source: Denis Wilson, Owner and Chef of Jimmy Wilson’s Seafood & Chop House
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes (serves 4)
- Jumbo Lump Crabmeat 1 LB
- Butter ¼ lb
- Yellow Onion – finely chopped 1 cup
- Celery 2 Tablespoons
- Chopped Green Onion 2 Tablespoons
- Garlic 1Teaspoon
- Bay Leaf 1
- Brown Sugar 1 Tablespoon
- Fresh Thyme ¼ Teaspoon
- Egg 1 each
- Hamburger Bun 1 each
- Gather all ingredients and tools.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, green onion, garlic and bay leaf and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Using food processor, crumble hamburger bun.
- Crack and whip egg in a 4 qt mixing bowl and blend with the hamburger roll.
- Add the onion mix until well combined.
- Add crabmeat to the base and gently toss. Do not over mix! Do not break up whole pieces of crab.
- Divide batch into 4 cakes.
- Place crab cake in breadcrumbs on the top and bottom only.
- Saute in a sauté pan with butter on medium heat until brown on both sides and completely heated through.
In a small sauce pan reduce 1 Tablespoon lemon juice + 1 Tablespoon dry vermouth to half. Swirl in over low heat ¼ lb cold butter, cut into pieces until emulsified. Season with salt and black pepper.
To serve garnish with more crabmeat and chopped parsley.