April 27, 2011
Chef Reynold Darthard has been a successful chef for seven years. He began cooking at an early age with his
mother and grandmother, learning to make dishes that had been handed down through his family for generations.
Prior to his culinary career, Chef Rey was an operations manager for a large oil and gas distributing company for fifteen years. He then earned an Associate of Applied Science degree from The Art Institute of Houston’s Culinary Program and began his culinary career. He now owns Chef Rey’s, a restaurant and catering company in Missouri City, Texas and hopes that his signature cheesecake will soon be available in stores all over the country.
Darthard will be a featured celebrity chef at the Grand Wine & Food Affair in Sugar Land, Texas.
Chef Rey samples some of his signature cheesecake to food radio host Cleverley Stone and Chris Breaux from the Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce previews Grand Wine & Food Affair, which takes place April 27 through May 1, 2011.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley’s radio show,
Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (PS: She gives out prizes on every radio show!)
Chef Rey’s Cheesecake
Makes 12-16 servings
1-1/2 Cup of Graham Cracker Crumbs
¼ Cup of Granulated Sugar
¼ cup (1/2 stick) Butter Melted
1¼ lbs of Cream Cheese
1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
1 Cup of Sour Cream
3 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
½ tsp of Vanilla & Fresh Lemon Juice
1. Heat oven to 350 Degrees F
2. For crust, in small bowl combine crumbs with butter and sugar, Press onto bottom of pan (9×2 cake pan) as well as side walls of pan
3. Par Bake for 10 Minutes until golden brown. Cool Completely
4. For filling, in a large mixer, beat together room temperature cream cheese, flour and sugar until creamy and smooth; add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add lemon juice and sour cream, mixed until well blended, add extract flavoring mix in note: do not over mix. Pour filling into crust.
5. Bake 40-45 minutes or until almost set in center. Cool completely, Refrigerate at least 2 hours
6. Unmold cheesecake and garnish with fresh strawberries