Taste of the Nation, a charity event, will take place Sunday, May 6 at The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa. 100 percent of ticket sales will benefit Share Our Strength. The Houston Food Bank is one of the beneficiaries of the event. Event co-chair TK Harrison described the event on FOX 26 Morning News. For event details and ticket information, visit http://ce.strength.org/events/taste-nation-houston
Dessert Gallery Bakery and Cafe will provide cupcakes for the event and Jaime Acosta demonstrated for food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to apply frosting to a cupcake and he shared his recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley’s radio showSaturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (PS: She gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Source: Chef Jaime Acosta, Dessert Gallery
Makes enough for 1 double layer 9” cake or 6-12 small cupcakes
1 lb cream cheese (2 – 8 oz packages) at room temperature
½ lb unsalted butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4-6 tablespoons best quality strawberry preserves
1. Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment.
Beat on med high until smooth, about a minute. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
2. On low speed, gradually add powdered sugar. Beat on medium speed of about 1 minute, or until well combined.
Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
3. Add strawberry preserves and vanilla. Beat a few more seconds until smooth.
4. Using an offset spatula or a pastry bag, apply a generous amount of frosting on each cupcake.
5. Remember to refrigerate any leftovers! Enjoy!
With Valentine’s Day less than one week away, the time is now to make sure that plans for the romantic day are in order.
Sara Brook from Dessert Gallery Bakery and Cafe and Elizabeth Stone from Stone Kitchen Catering suggest on FOX 26 Morning News Extra some gourmet meals to-go and some delicious desserts to make that favorite ‘sweetie’ smile.
Beef & Pork Canneloni
Source: Stone Kitchen Catering & Special Events
· 1 tsp Onion Powder
· 1 tsp Garlic Powder
· 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 pound ground pork
· 1 pound lean ground beef
· 1/2 cup white wine
· 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
· 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
· 1 tsp celery salt
· ground black pepper to taste
· 1 stick butter
· 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 2 cup milk
· 1 cup heavy cream
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
· 1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
· 1/4 cup chopped parsley
· 2 egg yolks
· 4 cups tomato sauce
· 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
· 1 pound Manicotti or Canneloni Shells
1. Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet. Add pork, and beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink. Add Garlic powder and onion power. Add Italian herbs and rosemary. Add wine, and reduce for 1 minute. Add herbs, celery salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan set over moderately low heat. Whisk in flour for approximately 2 minutes. Stir in milk, cream and grated nutmeg. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and Parmesan cheese.
3. Transfer the cooled meat mixture to a large bowl. Mix in egg yolks. Mix in the cheese and parsley sauce. Set aside.
4. Combine the tomato sauce and cream, set aside.
5. Cook pasta according to directions on the box. Cut the pasta sheets crosswise into 5 inch lengths. Transfer to a bowl of cold water. Spread the noodles in one layer on paper towels to drain.
6. Spoon 1/4 cup of the filling down the center of one noodle, and roll the noodle to enclose the filing. Transfer the cannelloni, seam side down, to a well buttered Pyrex dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling, arranging in single layer. Ladle the extra cream sauce over the cannelloni, and drizzle with tomoato sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until bubbling.