Chef Michael Pellegrino from Max’s Wine Dive is thrilling diners with his menu for Houston Restaurant Weeks. Some of the dishes on his menus include:
Max ‘n Cheese (pasta tossed in truffle cream with provolone, gruyère and parmigiano reggiano cheeses); Nacho Mama’s Oysters (crispy fried Gulf coast oysters and garlic aioli on fried wontons with house-made habanero salsa and fresh cilantro); Southern Fried Chicken (house-made jalapeno and buttermilk-marinated chicken, deep-fried slow and low and served with mashed potatoes, collard greens and brioche texas toast) and Apple Pie in a Glass. Chef Pellegrino shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make a watermelon salad with baby arugula, iced red onions and feta cheese with citrus vinaigrette.
Houston Restaurant Weeks takes place from Aug. 1 until Aug. 31, 2012. Max’s Wine Dive will donate $5 from each HRW dinner sold to the Houston Food Bank. Diners can make a $10 donation to the Houston Food Bank by texting HRW to 20222. (Message & data rates may apply and all purchases must be authorized by the account holder. For more details, visit http://www.houstonrestaurantweeks.com/.)
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston,
listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Watermelon Citrus Salad
Chef Michael Pellegrino, Max’s Wine Dive
- 2 lemons, skins washed
- 1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- ½ pound of arugula
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 cups watermelon chunks, cut up with seeds removed
- Salt & pepper
1. Place onions in a bowl of ice water for 1 hour.
2. In a bowl – Juice and zest both lemons.
3. Add shallots and olive oil to the lemon juice and season with salt & pepper.
4. In a different bowl – Add feta cheese, arugula and watermelon.
5. Remove the onions from the ice water and place in the bowl with the watermelon.
6. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing and enjoy.