After emigrating from South Africa, Ettienne Leibman opened Leibman’s Wine & Fine Foods in Houston, Texas in partnership with her husband Ralph in 1979. The store has a deli, featuring Ettienne’s dishes, including her famous chicken salad; a gift shop, a chocolate section and a wine shop. She shows food radio talk show host, Cleverley Stone, how to make mini potato latkes; talks about wines for New Year’s Eve and demonstrates some nifty wine gadgets.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley’s radio show,
Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (PS: She gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Mini Potato Pancakes/Latkes
Leibman’s Wine & Fine Foods
12 oz. potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes)
4 oz. onion (optional)
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour or 2 Tablespoons Matzo Meal
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup vegetable oil
1. Using a food processor or hand grater shred the potatoes and the onions.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the potatoes, onions, eggs, flour or matzo meal, salt and pepper and mix together.
3. Heat the oil and using a 1 oz. ice cream scoop gently place the potato mixture into the oil, press down lightly
with a fork and cook until golden brown.
4. Turn over and cook the other side till golden brown.
5. Remove from oil and place on a wire cookie rack or on paper towels to drain.
6. Top with crème fraiche and a small dollop of caviar.