November 16, 2011
While shopping for Thanksgiving dinner ingredients, don’t forget about ingredients for the leftovers! Chef Joey Thomas from The Kroger Co. shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone recipes for Turkey Chili, Turkey Quesadillas & Apple Pie Parfait.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of onions
- 1/4 cup of bell peppers (your favorite color)
- 1 lb. of cubed turkey
- 1 cup of water
- 1 packet of turkey or chicken chili seasoning mix
- 2 cups of canned white kidney beans
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (drained)
- cooked white rice
1. Heat oil in skillet, and sauté onions and peppers for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in turkey, seasoning mix, water, and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Serve over white rice and add assorted toppings to taste, e.g. shredded cheese, sliced avocados, chopped cilantro, and/or sour cream.
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of onions
- 1/4 cup of bell peppers
- 1/4 cup of tomatoes
- 1 cup of finely chopped turkey
- 1/4 cup of Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of guacamole
- 2 flour tortillas
1. Heat oil in skillet on low-med heat.
2. Add ingredients to tortilla excluding sour cream and guacamole. Add loaded tortilla to skillet and top with remaining tortilla.
3. Cook quesadilla on each side for 2-3 minutes.
4. Cut quesadilla into 4 slices and top with sour cream and guacamole.
Apple Pie Parfait
- Apple pie (pieces)
- Fresh apple wedges
- Whipped cream
- Ice cream (vanilla flavor suggested)
- Ground Cinnamon
- Mint leaves
1. Layer pie pieces in a parfait glass, then add whipped cream and repeat.
2. Top with ice cream and additional whipped cream. Sprinkle cinnamon on top, and decorate with apple wedge and mint.