Source: Barbecue Nation
- 1 medium green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups sweet pickle relish, drained and juices reserved
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, bell peppers, tomatoes, relish and onions until well combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Let the sugar somewhat dissolve in the vinegar. Pour this mixture over the vegetables, tossing to coat.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving. Use any reserved pickle juice or additional salt to adjust the seasoning to your taste.
You can make this several hours in advance, maybe when you start smoking some ribs.
Source: Jim Benton Catering
- 6 oz. sliced almonds
- 1 jar sesame seeds
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 large bag cole slaw
- ½ Medium onion
- 2 pkgs. Ramen noodles (discard sauce package)
- Chicken breast (optional)
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 c.rice vinegar
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Brown sesame seeds and almonds in butter. Set aside to cool.
- Chop onions and add to cabbage/slaw.
- Fold in the sesame seeds and almonds. Crumble in Ramen noodles.
- Mix dressing and pour over salad.
- Add grilled chicken breast, if desired.