Vote for David Cordua, executive chef at Americas, in the Verizon Wireless and Modern Luxury 4G4Hunger campaign by visiting http://verizon.modernluxury.com/houston-cordua/.
Cordua shows radio show host Cleverley Stone how to prepare turkey meatballs with cranberry ginger chutney.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston,
listen to Cleverley’s radio show on Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(PS: She gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Turkey Meatballs (Makes about 30 small meatballs)
Chef David Cordua, Americas
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/4 lb bacon, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Vegetable oil for sauteing
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Soak the inner white of sourdough bread in milk for 10 minutes.
3. Saute carrot, celery and onion in butter until soft and translucent.
4. Squeeze excess milk from bread. In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients (meat, spices, etc.)and mix thoroughly by hand.
5. Scoop meatball mixture into 1 Tbsp sized balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
It should yield about 30 meatballs.
6. Cook in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Cranberry Ginger Chutney
- 1 ounce shallots, minced
- 1 ounce ginger, minced
- 4 ounces red apple, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 – 14 ounce can of jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
1. In a sauce pan sauté shallots, ginger and onion in butter until soft.
2. Add cranberry sauce and water and bring to a boil until cranberry sauce is completely dissolved.
3. Finish with sesame oil, salt and chopped dill once cooled.