Ingredients (yields 4 quarts)
- 8 oz bacon, small diced
- 2 ea onion, small diced
- 3 stalks celery, small diced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ea green bell peppers, small diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups Pernod
- 1 qt oyster liquor
- 3 ea bay leaves
- 1 ½ lbs potato, purple, small diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 pints oyster (shucked)
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- Place a soup pot on high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the bacon and cook to render for about 5 minutes, or until fat is clear, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onions, celery, garlic, peppers and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly so that nothing sticks to the bottom during cooking.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until the flour is well distributed and the mixture thickens.
- Add Pernod and cook for about 3 min or until the alcohol is cooked out then add stock
& bay leaves and simmer uncovered about 3 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes, simmer, and stir occasionally, cooking for about 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender
- Stir in the cream, bring to a boil, cook for 2 minutes, and add the oysters.
- Cook until the edges of the oysters curl, then season with salt, pepper and green onions.