Chef Michelle Tadeo-Hernandez, owner of Catering to Your Taste Buds catering company, has created some innovative dishes with a common theme – they are all pink. She shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make a strawberry cake pop, tootie fruitie pink parfait cups, pink fruit cocktail ambrosia and pink fettuccini Alfredo with chicken and capers.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston,
listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(PS: She gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Strawberry Cake Pops Dipped in a Pink Ganache
Makes 12 cakes pops
Chef Michelle T. Hernandez, Catering To Your Taste Buds
- 1 Sara Lee Pound Cake (store bought)
- 8 oz. Strawberry Icing (store bought)
- 12 Candy Pop Sticks (available at craft stores)
- 1 Bag of Pink Chocolate Candy Wafers (craft store)
- Toasted coconut, nuts, sprinkles (optional)
1. Crumble pound cake into pieces. Combine crumbled cake with can of icing.
2. Roll into golfball-sized balls. Insert pop stick into each ball.
3. Freeze cake pops for minimum of 3 hours.
4. Melt pink chocolate candy wafers per directions on package.
5. Dip frozen cake pop into melted candy wafers until you have desired coating.
6. Sprinkle with your choice of topping. Toasted Coconut, or Nuts for a festive eye appeal!
Tootie Fruitie Pink Parfait Cups
Makes 8 cups
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 32 oz. Container of Strawberry Banana Yogurt
- 12 oz. Pound Cake, Cut Into Squares
- Chopped Granola
- Fresh Strawberries
- Parfait Cups
- Mint leaves (for garnish)
1. In a blender, place yogurt and cream cheese. Pulse together until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
2. In your parfait cup add a small layer of pound cake squares. Next add a layer of fruit, a layer of granola and a layer of your yogurt mixture. Layer until you reached the top.
3. Garnish with a some mint leaves.
Pink Fruit Cocktail Ambrosia
Makes 3 servings
- 1 15 oz. Can of Fruit Cocktail
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 Jar of Fruit Strawberry in Syrup
- 8 oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 oz. Toasted Coconut
- Nuts (optional)
1. In a bowl mix softened cream cheese with sweetened condensed milk until creamy and smooth.
2. Add 2-3 teaspoons of syrup and a couple pieces of fruit and mash into the milk mixture.
3. Next add your fruit cocktail and combine thoroughly.
4. Top with toasted coconut and nuts and chill for a minimum of 3 hours or freeze for 6 hours.
Pink Fettuccini Alfredo with Chicken and Capers
Makes 4 servings
- 1 box of Fettuccini Pasta
- 1 12 oz. Can of Beets
- 1 Jar of Alfredo Sauce
- 1 Sautéed Chicken Breast
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. In a sauté pan cook chicken on each side for 3 minutes (depending on size of breast). To finish cooking you can place in the oven at 350 degrees for an additional 3-4 minutes or until it’s is not pink in the middle.
2. Boil pasta per package directions and add the can of beets (including the juice) to the boiling water. Cook pasta until to desired doneness. Drain and set aside. (This is best done overnight so the noodles can absorb the beet juice, hence turning it pink in color).
3. Put beets in a blender and blend with Alfredo sauce, then warm in sauce pan.
4. To plate: take a ladle full of pasta and sauté in a pan coated with olive oil until warmed through. Place warmed pasta in center of plate. Top with sliced chicken breast. Pour beet and Alfredo mixture over it all.