RA Sushi is hosting its’ eighth annual “Nicky’s Week” fundraiser Sunday, May 27, through Saturday, June 2, to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Chef Jimmy Kieu shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make Chicken Yakitori, one of the dishes on the fundraiser’s menu.
St. Jude’s is one of the world’s premier centers for research and treatment of pediatric cancer and other deadly diseases since it opened 50 years ago.
RA Sushi in CITYCENTRE and Highland Village will donate 100 percent of proceeds from the sale of a variety of menu items and beverages to St. Jude to help support the hospital’s lifesaving mission. Since its inception, Nicky’s Week has raised more than $943,000 for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and RA Sushi hopes to surpass the $1 million mark this year. The special Nicky’s Week menu includes: Edamame, Tootsy Maki, Shrimp Nigiri, Pork Gyoza, Chicken Yakitori, Garlic Citrus Yellowtail Tapas and a variety of select beverages.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston,
listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Chicken Yakitori Recipe (Yields 3 skewers)
Chef Jimmy Kieu, RA Sushi
- 2 Pc. Chicken breasts
- 1 Pc. Red Pepper Ring
- 1 Pc. Green Pepper Ring
- 1 Pc. Onion Ring
- 1 oz. Sauté Butter
- 2 oz. Teriyaki Sauce (any brand)
- 1 oz. Sake
- Black Pepper, Salt, and Sesame Seeds
- 3 wood or metal skewers
1. Cut up chicken into bite-sized pieces and place onto skewers.
2. Heat sauté pan and add sauté butter.
3. Place 3 Yakitori skewers in sauté pan & season with black pepper and salt.
4. Sear skewers until golden brown on each side.
5. Add onion, red and green peppers and sake to the pan.
6. Cover with a lid to soften vegetables and cook chicken through.
7. Add teriyaki sauce and toss with chicken and vegetables.
8. Place vegetables on a plate. Stack one end of each skewer on the vegetables.
9. Pour remaining teriyaki sauce over chicken skewers.
10. Sprinkle chicken skewers with sesame seeds.