May 2, 2012
Taste of the Nation, a charity event, will take place Sunday, May 6 at The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa. 100 percent of ticket sales will benefit Share Our Strength. The Houston Food Bank is one of the beneficiaries of the event. Event co-chair TK Harrison described the event on FOX 26 Morning News. For event details and ticket information, visit http://ce.strength.org/events/taste-nation-houston
Dessert Gallery Bakery and Cafe will provide cupcakes for the event and Jaime Acosta demonstrated for food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to apply frosting to a cupcake and he shared his recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley’s radio showSaturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (PS: She gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Source: Chef Jaime Acosta, Dessert Gallery
Makes enough for 1 double layer 9” cake or 6-12 small cupcakes
- 1 lb cream cheese (2 – 8 oz packages) at room temperature
- ½ lb unsalted butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons best quality strawberry preserves
1. Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment.
Beat on med high until smooth, about a minute. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
2. On low speed, gradually add powdered sugar. Beat on medium speed of about 1 minute, or until well combined.
Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
3. Add strawberry preserves and vanilla. Beat a few more seconds until smooth.
4. Using an offset spatula or a pastry bag, apply a generous amount of frosting on each cupcake.
5. Remember to refrigerate any leftovers! Enjoy!