April 30, 2012
Mother’s Day is right around the corner (Sunday, May 13) and Chef Carlos Meltzer from Sur La Table shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone some cool cooking gadget gift ideas under $50, including a stuffed burger maker, mozzarella cheese maker and a chocolate popsicle dipping machine. Chef Carlos also demonstrates how to make vinaigrette dressing with an immersion blender.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston,
listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Frisée Salad with Roquefort and Toasted Walnuts
Source: Chef Carlos Meltzer, Sur La Table
Makes 4 servings
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 5 ounces frisée lettuce or mixed spring greens, washed and dried
- 2 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1. Using a whisk to prepare vinaigrette dressing: Whisk the vinegar, shallot, and
Dijon mustard together in a medium mixing bowl to blend.
2. While whisking vigorously, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the vinegar mixture.
3. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and stir in chopped tarragon. Set aside.
1. Using an immersion blender: Place vinegar, Dijon mustard and olive oil in a 2 cup liquid measuring cup.
2. Use the immersion blender to blend until the oil and vinegar are no longer separated and the mixture looks creamy.
3. Add the shallots and chopped tarragon, stir gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
To serve, place frisée in a large salad bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Dress with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens and save any remaining dressing for another use.
Divide the dressed greens between 4 serving plates, garnish with Roquefort and walnuts, and serve immediately.