November 2, 2011
Risotto, the classic Italian rice dish, requires the full attention of the cook, because this dish must be stirred constantly while cooking to achieve the proper creamy consistency. Chef Scott Campbell from Viking Range Corporation shows food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone the fine points of making Black Truffle Risotto. He will compete in The 9th Annual International Risotto Festival, benefiting The Children’s Assessment Center, on Sunday, November 13 at the Houston Design Center. Tammy Hetmaniak tells us about the Children’s Assessment Center and the services they provide to our community.
Sunday, Nov. 13, 2011
LOCATION: Houston Design Center
7026 Old Katy Road, Houston, Texas 77024
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM.
(By the way, she gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)
Chef Scotty’s Black Truffle Risotto (Makes 4 Dinner or 8 Appetizer servings)
Source: Chef Scott Campbell, Viking Kitchens
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups beef broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian version)
- 1 tbsp black truffle cream (or chopped black truffles)
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
Optional: chopped parsley for some color
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
2. Add shallots, butter and garlic; stir until tender, about 2 minutes.
3. Add Arborio rice and stir until coated.
4. Add the white wine and stir until absorbed.
5. Add the beef broth, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Add more broth only when all of the
broth in the pan has been absorbed by the rice. This entire process takes anywhere from 17 to 25 minutes.
6. About 2/3 of the way through, stir in the black truffle cream, Brandy and parsley.
7. When you add your final ladle of broth, add the Parmesan cheese.
8. Serve immediately topped with the chopped or sliced black truffles.
9. Serve & enjoy immediately! Then go right to bed! This is as good as your day is going to get!