Leave it to a girl from Fort Worth to win it all on the eighth season of the FOX television show “Hell’s Kitchen” with Chef Gordon Ramsay.
After a grueling competition, Chef Nona Sivley won the job as head chef at the JW Marriott Hotel’s LA Market restaurant in downtown Los Angeles and a cool $250,000 annual salary, plus an endorsement deal from Rosemount Estate Wines.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show Saturdays at Noon on Talk 650 AM. (By the way, she gives out prizes on every radio show!)
New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp and Grits
Source: Chef Nona Sivley
Winner, Hell’s Kitchen, Season 8/Dec. 2010
12 ea large gulf shrimp
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1 oz chopped garlic
½ oz chopped rosemary
¼ bottle Abita amber beer
2 oz Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1 oz hot sauce (Crystal)
1/2 oz Steen’s cane syrup
1 tsp Creole seasoning
½ oz lemon juice
4 Tbsp whole butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Season the shrimp with Creole seasoning.
2. In a large sauté pan over high heat, sauté shrimp in cooking oil.
Flip shrimp after 1 minute then add garlic and rosemary.
3. De-glaze pan with the beer and then add worcestershire, Steen’s and hot sauce.
4. Cook shrimp for another 2 minutes then remove from heat and add lemon juice, and whole butter.
Serve shrimp over grits
1 cup yellow stone-ground grits
3 cup milk
½ cup cream
4 oz butter
Salt and white pepper to taste
1. In a sauce pot, bring milk to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and add grits.
2. Continue cooking for about 25 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add cream and butter and season to taste with salt and white pepper.