Max’s Wine Dive has extended Houston Restaurant Week through Sept. 6. Executive chef Michael Pellegrino shows us how to make two of this most popular dishes that are on his menu for the event: Max & Cheese and a Maxed Out Fried Egg Sandwich. We also see a sample a sample of a 3 course dinner that is available for $35 at the restaurant during Houston Restaurant Week. Max’s will donate $5 to the Houston Food Bank for each dinner sold through Labor Day. The restaurant joins 97 restaurants that are extending the event. Radio talk show host and restaurant journalist Cleverley Stone is the founder and chair of Houston Restaurant Week.
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, listen to Cleverley’s radio show on Saturdays at Noon on KIKK-Talk 650 AM. (By the way, she gives out free restaurant gift certificates on every radio show!)
Max & Cheese
Souce: Chef Michael Pellegrino, Max’s Wine Dive
5 oz Cavatappi Pasta (precooked, al dente)
1/3 cup Béchamel Sauce (see recipe below)
1 oz Heavy Cream
½ tbsp Truffle Cream (can be purchased at specialty grocery stores)
2 oz Parmesan Cheese
2 oz White Cheddar
2 oz Gruyere Cheese
(produces a quart of béchamel sauce)
1 quart of milk
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
3 tbsps of roux (can be purchased or homemade)
1. Combine milk, onion, bay leaf and sprig of thyme in a pot.
2. Over medium heat, bring milk, onion, bay leaf and sprig of thyme to boil.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Strain and return to heat.
5. Whip in roux and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. In a sauté pan, add Béchamel and heavy cream.
2. Heat until bubbles form.
3. Add cooked Cavatappi Pasta, truffle cream and all three cheeses.
4. Let simmer until all the cheeses have melted.
5. Salt and pepper to taste and at the very end fold in a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Maxed Out Fried Egg Sandwich
Source: Chef Michael Pellegrino, Max’s Wine Dive
3 slices bacon
2 slices of Pugliese (Italian bread)
¼ cup Gruyere cheese
2 slices of tomatoes
1 leaf of hydroponic Bibb lettuce (or lettuce of your choice)
¼ cup mayo
½ tbsp truffle cream
1. Place mayo in a small bowl. Stir in the truffle cream until evenly dispersed. Place in refrigerator.
2. Butter slices of Pugliese bread and place them on a hot flat top griddle.
3. Toast bread evenly on both sides.
4. Place bacon strips and eggs on the griddle making sure not to break the yolk.
5. Once the white of the eggs have set up, turn them over and place the cheese on top of the eggs. Cook for another 30 seconds.
6. Liberally spread truffle mayo on toasted bread.
7. Place the egg/cheese/bacon combo on to top of one slice of toasted bread.
8. Add the tomatoes and season them with salt and pepper.
9. Place the lettuce on the top and add the top piece of bread.