Recipes submitted by Chef Jason Gould
Chef Jason Gould, owner of Gravitas restaurant in Houston, shows food and restaurant journalist Cleverley Stone how to cook a few dishes from his homeland of Australia.
Mint and Yogurt Marinated Lamb Sirloin
. Four 8-9 oz lamb sirloins
. 4 oz of fresh mint, finely chopped
. 2 cloves of garlic, minced
. 2 cups of yogurt- (you can use nonfat)
. Kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
1. Cut away most of the excess fat from the lamb sirloins leaving a little bit for searing.
2. Season lamb with salt and black pepper.
3. Place mint, garlic and yogurt into a bowl and mix well.
4. Cover lamb with yogurt mixture and marinate for at least 24 hours.
5. Place lamb, fat side down, in a hot frying pan. Once fat is nice and brown, turn meat over and place in 400 degree non-convection (no fan) oven.
6. Roast lamb to desired doneness and let rest.
. 2 3/4 cups milk
. 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
. 1 small garlic clove, minced
. 1 cup chickpea flour, sift if lumpy (See Note)
. Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
. Canola oil, for frying
. 2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
. 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Note: Chickpea flour is available at Indian markets and health food stores.
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, butter and garlic. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce the heat to moderately low and gradually whisk in the chickpea flour until smooth. Stir constantly with a rubber spatula until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. 3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Scrape the mixture into a nonstick 9-by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet or baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with vegetable oil spray. Spread into a layer ¼ inch thick.
5. Cover with parchment paper and refrigerate until firm, about 2 to 3 hours.
6. Pour 1 inch of canola oil into a wide skillet and heat it to 350°, or until a piece of bread bubbles rapidly when added to the hot oil. 7. Meanwhile, cut the chickpea mixture into 2-inch squares.
7. Fry the squares in batches until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the squares to a rack lined with paper towels to drain, then keep them warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.
8. In a bowl, mix the sage and Parmesan cheese. Toss the fries in the cheese and sage mixture until coated; serve warm.
Lamingtons Cake Dessert
Makes 16 pieces
Ingredients for Cake
. 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
. ½ cup of all purpose flour
. 1/3 cup of self-rising flour
. 1/3 cup of cornstarch
. 2/3 cup of sugar
. 2 eggs
1. Mix all purpose flour , self-rising flour and corn starch together. SIFT TOGETHER WELL
2. In a mixing bowl whisk eggs until thick and pale. Slowly add the sugar and mix until dissolved.
3. Fold in flour mixture and melted butter.
4. Pour batter onto sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees approx. 25-30 mins.
5. Once cooked turn out onto wire rack .When cooled wrap in plastic and store in cooler over night.
. ¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
. 6 tbsps unsalted butter (softened)
. 1/2 pound of toasted desiccated coconut (See Note)
1. Place sugar and cocoa in a large metal bowl. Add butter and stir.
2. Place over a Bain Marie. Add ¾ cup of boiling water and mix together until smooth.
3. Leave mixture in bowl on Bain Marie.
4. Dip cut cake into icing mixture and roll in toasted coconut. Let cool.
Note: Desiccated coconut is different from sweetened coconut flakes sold in plastic bags or cans. It is dry, not sticky, in texture. Find desiccated coconut in health food stores or specialty food stores. If time doesn’t permit just use sweetened coconut. Toast it yourself by spreading it on a cookie sheet and baking in a 325 degree oven until brown and toasty.