Source: Herbsaint Restaurant, New Orleans
Sausage Patty Ingredients:
- 2.5 lbs Finely ground pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh dried thyme
- Mix together and form into 6 patties
- 6 to 8 each Fresh paprika or Anaheim chiles
- 1 each sprig of rosemary
- 4 each slivered cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Roast chiles on grill then place in plastic bag to steam.
- Peel and julienne peppers.
- Simmer for 10 minutes with olive oil, rosemary and garlic.
- Strain oil and set aside.
- 2 each loaves of ciabatta
- 3 each creole or beef steak tomatoes
- Baby red mustard greens (or arugula)
- 1/2 cup whole grain mustard
- 6 each slices of fontina or piave cheese
- Grill sausage patties until done (about 4-5 minutes each side).
- Put cheese on top just before they are finished to melt cheese.
- Cut ciabatta to fit sausage patty and spread reserved olive oil inside the cuts. Grill until crispy.
- Spread some good mustard on bottom half of bread, place sausage patty, top with fontina, and chiles, greens, and tomatoes.
You may substitute any sausage for this recipe. Recommended is andouille sausage.