Source: Domenica Catelli
Adding jicama to your salad will provide lots of extra crunch, plus the health benefit of vitamin C while not adding any extra fat or sodium. One cup of cubed jicama is only 45 calories.
- 1 head of romaine or two hearts of romaine lettuce cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 jicama, peeled and cut into small cubes or matchsticks
- 2 large organic navel oranges, skin and white pith removed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- Salt to taste
- Fresh pepper
- Optional: fresh herbs (basil, dill and cilantro are good), pitted kalamata olives, crumbled feta or goat cheese, thinly sliced red onion
- Cut the oranges into small wedges (about 8 pieces per orange).
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, jicama and oranges (if using any other ingredients add to bowl as well).
- Put the lime juice and a generous pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream until incorporated.
- Pour over the jicama mix, toss and serve.